Happy Wednesday WACA Area 1 Friends!
WACA is almost here and that means it is time for The Greatest Show on Earth! The conference begins Wednesday, March 13th! 6 Days from today!!!
Here are some last-minute details…
If you are a presenter, THANK YOU for your time and talent. We can’t make this conference happen without your willingness to present.
Area meetings: The focus will be on how we can best utilize this conference and one another to fill the needs we have in our schools. Is there a need to improve school culture? Professional Development? Help with projects and events? We’ll also spend some time networking and sharing resource and ideas with one another.
Attire: It’s a very casual conference so jeans and t-shirts usually work well. Temperatures in the conference center rooms can vary so you may want to dress in layers. Some people like to dress a bit nicer for the Thursday evening awards banquet, but that is very optional. Friday of the conference is school colors day. Show your school pride on Friday!
Additional Info: A reminder we are NOT having raffle baskets this year, but instead, I’ll be giving to you!
If you have any questions or comments please email me.
I'm excited to see you NEXT WEEK!
Hello WACA Area 1 Friends!
We are just two and a half weeks away from The Greatest Show On Earth, our 2019 state WACA conference.
1. It is not too late to sign up for the conference. You will not regret it! www.wacaonline.org
2. We need 9 more people to present at Meet the Pros. This is a chance to present a short lesson that you do or an activity you want to highlight. It is a low-key 10-min session that you repeat 4 times in an hour. You sit around a table with people who want to hear about your project. Would you consider signing up for a Meet the Pros session?
Here is the link. http://www.wacaonline.org/presenter-application.html
Thank you SO much and if you have any questions, please reach out.
Hello Area 1!
I hope you're warm and safe during all the snow!
We're gearing up for another great WACA conference and I wanted to update you on a few things.
REGISTRATION: If you haven’t yet registered for the conference, now is the time to do it! We have a great line-up of speakers and sessions. Registration, hotel information and more is available at wacaonline.org
· Note: Be sure to fill out the special meal requests during your registration process if you need to.
HOTEL ROOMS: The rooms are filling up pretty quickly, which means that we should have a big conference this year! Make sure you call and get a room booked. There is more info on the WACA website.
· Note: If you have reserved a hotel room, but haven’t yet registered for the conference, please do that soon so we have a realistic count.
PARTNERS: Our partner coordinator, Jen Durham, is always looking for conference partners. If you have a local vendor that you really like, or a product that you use frequently, let me know and I’ll pass the info on to Jen.
PRESENTERS: We are currently in need of 10 minute presentations for our Meet the Pros sessions. Please consider presenting! We are always looking for sessions focused on our bookkeepers. as well as topics like: how to transition from summer leadership camp to school, how to partner with administrators to promote school culture, how to creatively repeat programs like Character Strong, etc. The application to present can be found on wacaonline.org!
Please let me know if you have questions and, as always, let me know if you are no longer involved with activities and whose name I should add in your place.
Look for more specific information about the conference as we get closer (and if you're registered!).
Have a wonderful week...and stay safe!
I hope your Tuesday is going incredibly well, especially as it’s so beautiful outside.
Now that we’re in December, the WACA Conference is 99 days away! Which means it’s time to get your Request to Attends and hotel rooms in order so you can register for the conference.
WACA Conference: March 13 – 15, 2019 @ Three Rivers Convention Center in the Tri-Cities. The theme is: Come One, Come All, to the Greatest Show on Earth! Click here to register.
Presenting at WACA: Learning from each other is the best part of WACA (besides just being together), so please share your knowledge with us. If you’re stuck on what you can present on, use the three areas of focus above; personal growth, project management and building culture, to brainstorm what you can present.
The Purpose of WACA: Our focus at WACA is threefold:
1. Personal Growth 2. Project Management 3. Culture Building
As Activities Directors, Leadership Advisors, Leadership Teachers, Administrators, Counselors, Class and Club Advisors, Success Support staff, we all have a strong role and identity within personal growth, project management and culture building.
Therefore, this conference is helpful and reaffirming of your own purpose, goals and actions. There is a place for everyone at this conference, so please attend.
The Benefits of WACA:
How to Pay for WACA:If you’re worried about how to pay for WACA, here are a few ways that may work for you (if you’re not worried, just skip past this section):
As always, if you have any questions about anything or need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Hello WACA Area 1!
I am Jaime Johnson, your WACA Area 1 Rep. WACA is the state organization for all things related to student activities and we are grateful you are here to support the kids.
This organization is for people in charge of activities, asb advisors, class advisors, administration supervising activities and anyone who is involved in student activities at their schools. If you are not one of these people or do not want to be on this mailing list, please let me know. If there is someone else that this email would be better directed towards, please let me know that too!
I apologize for this note coming so late in the year. It’s been a wild beginning of the year. But here we are on…on the cusp of Thanksgiving and I am thankful for you!
I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, get some much needed November rest and enjoy the people surrounding you.
Thank you for all you do!
Hello! I hope your day is going wonderfully.
I am Jaime Johnson, the WACA Area #1 Rep. You are getting this email as you have either attended WACA in the past, are the Activities Advisor at your school or the Admin over Activities/Leadership at your school. If you would like to be removed from this list, please let me know.
We had our Winter Board meeting last weekend at Three Rivers Convention Center in Kennewick, where our Annual Conference will take place on March 14-16, 2018 and we’re gearing up for another great conference.
Registration: Please register for WACA Conference at www.wacaonline.org. If you have already registered, THANK YOU SO MUCH. If not, please do. It is a great time to network with others in the same position as you, to reconnect with people, to reenergize and to spring some new ideas on you.
· Note: There is a spot on the registration form, to make special meal requests. Please fill out this section, and the banquet folks will try to help out as much as possible.
The hotel reservation information is also on the WACA website. The rooms are filling up quickly, so if one is full, try the another one on the list.
· Note: If you have registered for a hotel room, but haven’t yet registered for the conference, please do so. After February 1st, conference registrations must match each room registration. If not, they will start contacting people and releasing those rooms to other delegates who need them (This happened last year too).
· Also note: If your room was reserved by someone other than the person staying in the room, be sure that the room is in each person’s name (not the bookkeeper, secretary, etc). For example, at RHS, Kari will reserve rooms for Tim, John, and Jim. If “Kari” is the only name on the registration, that would be bad (see above note). If she adds each of our names, that will verify that there are three people attending the conference, each with a conference registration and hotel registration. Make sense? Let me know if you need clarification.
Advisor Certification: Please consider applying for the Advisor Certification. We had 37 advisors apply last year, and have added more than a dozen so far this year. You can apply any time, but if you want your certification recognized at the conference, you need to complete the application by February 1st. The certification sure is nice when working with TPEP, National Board certification, or just being recognized for the amazing work that you do!
Partners: Our partner coordinator Jen Durham is always looking for conference partners. If you have a local vendor that you really like, or a product that you use frequently, let me know and I’ll pass the info on to Jen. She will contact that person/s, and see if they’re interested in being one of our Partners.
Presenters: Please consider being a presenter at WACA. Learning from each other is the best way for us to continue to grow and develop as Advisors. Could you present an idea at our Meet the Pros session (a short/10-minute presentation that you repeat several times as delegates “rotate” to you)? Do you have a longer presentation that could occupy a 50-minute session? Every one is an expert at something in their job. Here are some examples of what you could present on:
Okay, that’s enough for now! Thank you for reading and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!
WACA Area Rep #1
Welcome back to another school year, and another exciting year of activities.
Good Morning, I’m Jaime Johnson, your WACA Area 1 Representative and Monroe High School Activities Director. If you’re not the activities person at your school, or if someone else should be added to my list, would you please reply to this email right away? Then I can update my contact list. Thanks!
We just held our fall WACA Board meeting in Wenatchee. We went to Wenatchee to check out their convention center and hotels. We’re always keeping our eyes open for possible venues for our conference.
There were several items from the board meeting that I want to pass on to you:
1. Apply for Washington State Advisor Certification. We started the program earlier this year, and have thirty or so certified advisors at this time. If you’re interested, please refer to the application on line at wacaonline.org (it’s the third menu tab on the left side of the home page). Application deadline is February 1, 2018. If you have questions, feel free to shoot me an email.
2. The State Fall Student Leadership Conference (AWSL) is coming fast, October 13-15, in Yakima. Check out the latest “In the Loop” if you receive that, or google “AWSL” for info and forms.
3. This year, NCSA (National Conference on Student Activities) is being held in Spokane December 1-3, 2017. It’s a great conference; where you have the chance to connect with our state advisors, but the greatest part is discovering how other states address activities. There is a link to the conference site at the bottom of our homepage (wacaonline.org). Check it out!
4. WACA Hall of Fame: If you would like to nominate someone for the WACA Hall of Fame, the deadline is December 1, 2017. Again, check the menu bar on the left hand side of our homepage to access the Hall of Fame info and application.
5. And finally, it’s not too early to think about the WACA Conference, March 14-16, 2018, at the Tri-Cities Convention Center in Kennewick. There’s information about the conference on our website. Things to note:
· The Pre-Conference session topics and the Speakers Showcase speakers are listed on the website, if you’d like a little advance peak at some highlights of the first day of the conference. The rough outline for the entire conference is online as well.
· Registration will open during the first week of October, online via the website.
· There will be conference hotel information available in early October as well.
· When you register, look carefully at the section for menu options/concerns. We’re trying to serve our delegates as best we can, and trying to be sensitive to dietary needs.
· It’s not too early to think about sharing your expertise and creativity, by presenting a session at the conference.
I hope you’re having a great day and please contact me with concerns or questions. And please do contact me to help me update this mailing list for our area.
I hope you have a great day!
Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!
I meant to send this earlier this week, but time goes away, doesn't it?
I hope you all know how valuable you are to your schools, your kids and to your profession. Thank you for your positive influence and helping kids be even better than they already are.
Here's a couple of videos to show my appreciation to you!
Key and Peele's "Teaching Center"
Also, here is a video for some inspiration on why we do what we do! You are ALL CHAMPIONS!
Post-it Note Attack!
To practice staff appreciation for more than just this week, have your leadership classes write positive thoughts, comments, quotes, affirmations, gratitude on post-it notes, then attach them to the staff member’s door. If you’re like me, you try to make the attachment as awkward as possible so that the staff member has no idea what’s going on… ;)
Have a great weekend and find the joy in sleeping! J
Hello WACA Area 1!
I am Jaime Johnson, your newly elected WACA Area 1 Rep. I am excited for this opportunity to serve you and look forward to further building our community as we strive to find new ways to support our kid’s growth as leaders and good humans. I am the Activities Director for Monroe High School and am in my 7th year of Activities. I love my job and all it entails and love learning and observing from all of you.
I want to give a special THANK YOU to Laura Maaradji for serving Area 1 the last two years with zest, love and commitment!
If you attended WACA 2017, it was a wonderful conference that filled me up with ideas, thoughts, and a ton of time spent with people who understand me J I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did and came back to finish out the school year with strength, love, persistence and fun!
Please take the WACA 2017 survey to assist the board in decision-making for future conferences.
Here is the link: www.surveymonkey.com/r/WACA17
Please mark your calendars now for next year’s conference, WACA 2018 March 14-16th, 2018 at Three Rivers Convention Center in Kennewick, WA.
If you would like to be removed from this list, please contact me to do so. If you are not the point of contact for Activities in your building any longer, please send me the correct contact so I can update my list.
Monroe High School
Washington Activity Coordinators Association
WACA is a non-profit organization run entirely by volunteers who serve in student activities around the State of Washington.