I am Jaime Johnson, the WACA Area #1 Rep. You are getting this email as you have either attended WACA in the past, are the Activities Advisor at your school or the Admin over Activities/Leadership at your school. If you would like to be removed from this list, please let me know.
We had our Winter Board meeting last weekend at Three Rivers Convention Center in Kennewick, where our Annual Conference will take place on March 14-16, 2018 and we’re gearing up for another great conference.
Registration: Please register for WACA Conference at www.wacaonline.org. If you have already registered, THANK YOU SO MUCH. If not, please do. It is a great time to network with others in the same position as you, to reconnect with people, to reenergize and to spring some new ideas on you.
· Note: There is a spot on the registration form, to make special meal requests. Please fill out this section, and the banquet folks will try to help out as much as possible.
The hotel reservation information is also on the WACA website. The rooms are filling up quickly, so if one is full, try the another one on the list.
· Note: If you have registered for a hotel room, but haven’t yet registered for the conference, please do so. After February 1st, conference registrations must match each room registration. If not, they will start contacting people and releasing those rooms to other delegates who need them (This happened last year too).
· Also note: If your room was reserved by someone other than the person staying in the room, be sure that the room is in each person’s name (not the bookkeeper, secretary, etc). For example, at RHS, Kari will reserve rooms for Tim, John, and Jim. If “Kari” is the only name on the registration, that would be bad (see above note). If she adds each of our names, that will verify that there are three people attending the conference, each with a conference registration and hotel registration. Make sense? Let me know if you need clarification.
Advisor Certification: Please consider applying for the Advisor Certification. We had 37 advisors apply last year, and have added more than a dozen so far this year. You can apply any time, but if you want your certification recognized at the conference, you need to complete the application by February 1st. The certification sure is nice when working with TPEP, National Board certification, or just being recognized for the amazing work that you do!
Partners: Our partner coordinator Jen Durham is always looking for conference partners. If you have a local vendor that you really like, or a product that you use frequently, let me know and I’ll pass the info on to Jen. She will contact that person/s, and see if they’re interested in being one of our Partners.
Presenters: Please consider being a presenter at WACA. Learning from each other is the best way for us to continue to grow and develop as Advisors. Could you present an idea at our Meet the Pros session (a short/10-minute presentation that you repeat several times as delegates “rotate” to you)? Do you have a longer presentation that could occupy a 50-minute session? Every one is an expert at something in their job. Here are some examples of what you could present on:
- ASB Law
- Sessions focused on our bookkeepers
- Administrator-focused presentations; like how to involve more staff in student activities
- Fun-inspired presentations; like how to dance appropriately, good initiatives/team building activities, etc.
- How to bring the learning from summer leadership camp back to school
- How to partner with administrators to promote school culture
- How to creatively repeat programs like Character Strong
- Curriculum instruction/leadership lessons
- Remember: we all take ideas, and “tweak” them. We don’t think much of it, but those tweaks are what make them so valuable, and so important to share with others.
- The application link is attached: http://www.wacaonline.org/presenters.html
Okay, that’s enough for now! Thank you for reading and if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!
WACA Area Rep #1