Had enough snow yet? (As I’m writing this, it’s beginning to snow…) But never fear, WACA is almost here! And with it, we’ll go fishing… fishing for new ideas! (This is my third note in as many weeks.)
It looks like we have about 20 of us attending the conference from Area 8. That’s awesome! If you haven’t registered, you still can. I was asked to mention that there might be a slight delay in hotel reservations while the Hilton straightens out their reservations roster this weekend. But you should be able to register both for the conference and the hotel on Monday, using the wacaonline.org site. And don’t forget about the pre-con sessions!
Please consider presenting! You can find the presenter application on the wacaonline.org website. Remember, you can do a full 50 minute session, or a short (repeated) 10-minute Meet the Pros session. And as I was saying last week, we could really benefit from some of our bookkeepers presenting (delegates are asking for your expertise). Give it some thought. Contact me if you have questions or want to discuss the possibility of presenting.
Some “nuts and bolts” about the hotel:
· All rooms have complimentary basic internet.
· If you want to stay an extra night (Friday night, after the conference ends), you can reserve the extra night at the same conference rate. This is subject to availability. ;-)
· The hotel offers parking, at $6 per night. But… there are only 100 spots in the parking garage, so it’s “first come, first served”. And please consider carpooling to make the resources stretch further.
· There is also a parking garage across the street ($8/day). It is a secure lot; that’s good. But because it is secured, it is locked at 10pm each night.
Last item for now: As we have done for the last half-dozen years, we’ll do some give-away baskets in our area. Here’s how it works – you bring an item with you and add it to the basket. For your contribution, you get a ticket for that basket. On the final day of the conference, we’ll draw from those tickets to give away the basket. I’m thinking of:
· Chocolate basket: Bring a bar/package of your favorite chocolate, and add it to the basket. Pick up a “chocolate basket” ticket.
· Movie basket: Bring a favorite DVD or favorite movie treat, and add it to the basket. Collect a “movie basket” ticket.
· I’m also thinking of a bottle exchange, since we live here in grape country. Bring a bottle of your favorite (wine/cider/juice). On the last day, take a different bottle home with you.
· Other ideas?
Okay my friends, that’s enough for now. I’ll have more info to share as the conference gets closer. In the meantime, travel carefully. And have a great week!
John M. Bittinger, NBCT
WACA Area 8 Representative
Richland High School