I hope your Wednesday is going well!
Now that we’re in December, the WACA Conference is 98 days away! Which means it’s time to get your paperwork, registration and hotel rooms in order so you can attend the conference.
WACA Conference: March 13 – 15, 2019 @ Three Rivers Convention Center in the Tri-Cities. The theme is: Come One, Come All, to the Greatest Show on Earth! Click here to register.
Presenting at WACA: Learning from each other is the best part of WACA (besides just being together), so please share your knowledge with us. If you’re stuck on what you can present on, use these three areas of focus; personal growth, project management and building culture, to brainstorm what you can present.
- 50-minute classes
o Present/Teach/Facilitate 50-min lesson
- 10-minute Meet the Pros
o Present 10-min session 4 times.
- If you need ideas, go here to see past year’s presentations.
- To apply to present, please click here.
The Purpose of WACA: Our focus at WACA is threefold:
1. Personal Growth 2. Project Management 3. Culture Building
As Activities Directors, Leadership Advisors, Leadership Teachers, Administrators, Counselors, Class and Club Advisors, Success Support staff, we all have a strong role and identity within personal growth, project management and culture building.
Therefore, this conference is helpful and reaffirming of your own purpose, goals and actions. There is a place for everyone at this conference, so please attend.
The Benefits of WACA:
- You get to be with people who surround themselves with positive environments, want to serve kids, schools and adults.
- You get to learn and hear new perspectives from people from all over the state and beyond. You will come back with a bucket full of ideas that you want to do now.
- You get a break from the routine in the middle of March when we need it most.
- You have a built-in support network of people who are in similar jobs as you, so they naturally understand.
- The ability to network with Advisors, Administrators and more from across the whole state
- Some good ol’ fun. We all need more fun. We create it in our jobs for kids, yet we don’t take the time for ourselves. Take the time.
- Self-care. Take care of yourself and development so that you can effectively take care of others.
- This is the only Activities based professional development conference in Washington state. So take advantage and use it for your evaluation.
How to Pay for WACA:If you’re worried about how to pay for WACA, here are a few ways that may work for you (if you’re not worried, just skip past this section):
- ASB funds:It is totally acceptable to use ASB funds for your registration and lodging. Just get the kid’s approval, which also stems into a great conversation about lifelong learning and being current on best practices to best help the kids and the school
- Principal’s funds: I’ve definitely convinced my principal more than once to help cover sub costs for this conference. If they need to see the value, you can show them the Principal framework and they can see how you getting professional development to help with school culture is a part of their framework.
- Professional development funds:based off your district’s contract, you may have funds to use.
- ASB Secretary:Talk to your ASB Secretary about other funds that may be available. Some districts have specific advisor pools of money for professional development.
- Department Funds:If you’re lucky enough to have a dept fund for activities or leadership, use that.
- Your local school foundation, union, and/or Parent organization: Ask for a scholarship. It directly supports kids and their development, so this is a perfect use.
If you have any questions about anything or need help, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Director of Bands
Horizon Middle School
Central Valley School District
WACA Area 7 Representative